[lbo-talk] love stories???

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 18:39:16 PDT 2006

>From: joanna <123hop at comcast.net>
>
>My twelve-year old daughter has fallen off her reading lately, but
>yesterday she expressed an interest in reading "love stories."
>
>Nothing surprising there.

[Quite so.]

A tale of two genders: men choose novels of alienation, while women go for passion Camus tops the male 'milestones' list

Charlotte Higgins, arts correspondent Thursday April 6, 2006

Guardian

The novel that means most to men is about indifference, alienation and lack of emotional responses. That which means most to women is about deeply held feelings, a struggle to overcome circumstances and passion, research by the University of London has found.

Professor Lisa Jardine and Annie Watkins of Queen Mary College interviewed 500 men, many of whom had some professional connection with literature, about the novels that had changed their lives. The most frequently named book was Albert Camus's The Outsider, followed by JD Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. The project, called Men's Milestone Fiction, commissioned by the Orange prize for fiction and the Guardian, followed on from similar research into women's favourite novels undertaken by the same team last year.

The results are strikingly different, with almost no overlap between men's and women's taste. On the whole, men preferred books by dead white men: only one book by a woman, Harper Lee, appears in the list of the top 20 novels with which men most identify.

Women, by contrast, most frequently cited works by Charlotte and Emily Brontë, Margaret Atwood, George Eliot and Jane Austen. ...

"We were completely taken aback by the results," said Prof Jardine, who admitted that they revealed a pattern verging on a gender cliche, with women citing emotional, more domestic works, and men novels about social dislocation and solitary struggle. ...

<http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,1747821,00.html>

Carl