[lbo-talk] newspapers in 1776 [was: happiness pays?]

Josh Narins josh at narins.net
Wed Apr 5 20:34:19 PDT 2006

> >On 4/2/06, Josh Narins <josh at narins.net> wrote:
> >> Anyway, it reminds me of the role of information in a popular
> >> government, and how America in 1776 was the #2 newspaper-reading society
> > > in world history. Sweden, at some point, beat that record.
>
> Since a large majority of the population was totally illiterate,
> this bullshit factoid must have originated with someone for
> whom Blacks, Women, and Indians are untermenschen.
> Shane Mage
> <<<<<>>>>>
>
> don't know about cross-national ranking of early u.s. newspaper reading,
> and maybe i don't know about early u.s. literacy rates either, but i think
> that some historical research indicates percentage a good bit higher
> than 'total' illiteracy among 'large majority'...
>
> several hundred thousand copies of paine's _common sense_ were sold
> within months of publication, guesstimates are that up to three times
> as many folks may have read the pamphlet as copies were passed
> around, recall seeing figure suggesting that about 750,000 folks may
> have read _common sense_ during initial year of its appearance in
> print, if so, that would have been about 25% of mid-1770s population...
>
> also recall reading that literacy rates among both men and women in
> pennsylvania were above 50%, but then, memory may not serve me
> very well... mh

It depended, to a great degree, according to the Historian Francis Parkman, on State.

I'm currently (also) reading Montcalm and Wolfe: The French & Indian War.

This is concerning 1740s/1750s Massachusetts and Virginia:

=quotes

Massachusetts:

"Its government, originally theocratic, now tended to democracy, ballasted as yet by the strong traditions of respect for established worth and ability, as well as by the influence of certain families prominent in affairs for generations. Yet there were no distinct class- lines, and popular power, like popular education, was widely diffused.

Virginia:

"The Great Colony of Virigina stood in strong contrast to New England. In both the population was English; but one was Puritan with Roundhead traditions, and the other, so far as concerned its governing class, Anglican with Cavalier traditions. In the one, every man, woman, and child, could read and write; in the other, Sir William Berkeley once thanked God that there were no free schools, and no prospect of any for a century. The hope had found fruition. The lower classes of Virginia were as untaught as the warmest friend of popular ignorance could wish. New England had a native literature more than respectable under the circumstances, while Virginia had none; numerous industries, while Virginia was all agriculture, with but a single crop; a homogenous society and a democratic spirit, while her rival was an aristocracy.

"They [Virginian Aristocrats] were few in number; they raced, gambled, drank and swore; they did everything in Puritan eyes was most reprehensible; and in the day of need they gave the United Colonies a body of statesmen and orators which had no equal on the continent."

=end quote

Please recall that two English land grants. Plymouth and Virginia, the North and the South.