[lbo-talk] love stories, second thoughts...

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Thu Apr 6 05:57:57 PDT 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> I don't know. Thinking about K, I wonder maybe she might like
> extremely masculine and adventurous stories, like Jack London, To
> Light a Fire... or some of Steinbeck's short stories, or
> Hemingway. Just cause she's a girl...doesn't mean everything is pink
> and ribbons. (Are there still lego trucks on the floor?) The point is
> to get her back to enjoying a good story, right? I mean, O-land isn't a
> romantic's best town...
>
> Maybe science fiction, which is where I was at twelve.

That's a thought. There's a romance (including a first real date) in the plot of John Barnes' "Orbital Resonance", which is worth anyone's time. It's written like a juvenile, but it isn't one, not quite.

You might consider some of Francesca Lia Block's little books, which also have the distinction of being suppressed by cultural rightists. There's a love story in the one which is also a coming out story--I can't for the life of me think of the name of it.