[lbo-talk] Professor Lisa at Tortilla Flats

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 06:33:24 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> Professor Lisa Jardine and Annie Watkins of Queen Mary College interviewed
> 500 men, many of whom had some professional connection with literature,
> about the novels that had changed their lives. The most frequently named
> book was Albert Camus's The Outsider, followed by JD Salinger's Catcher in
> the Rye and Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.... Carl Remick
>
> --------
>
> Professor Lisa of Queen Mary was talking to the wrong men. For one
> thing the novel is called The Stranger, L'Estranger, which I have in a
> first edition, thanks for asking. It cost one hundred and twenty
> bucks.. My first copy I had died from reading to much...

If I remember correctly, the Stuart Gilbert translation of Camus' L'Etranger was "The Outsider," when originally released in Britain. The first U.S. edition of the same translation was "The Stranger". The last I noticed "The Outsider" was still the title of the Gilbert translation in Britain. Thus the Vintage Edition in England is called "The Outsider" but the very same Vintage release in the U.S. - same pagination, etc. - is called "The Stranger". Since dear Lisa was brought up a Brit, she would more likely use "The Outsider" title. Lisa, by the by, speaks Italian and French, and is the daughter of Jacob Bronowski, and as far as I'm concerned if she wants to use the alternate English title I am not going to take her down.

The rest of your email was pretty good but I wonder if we should all write about the stories, movies, books that influenced us the most.

-- Jerry Monaco's Philosophy, Politics, Culture Weblog is Shandean Postscripts to Politics, Philosophy, and Culture http://monacojerry.livejournal.com/

His fiction, poetry, weblog is Hopeful Monsters: Fiction, Poetry, Memories http://www.livejournal.com/users/jerrymonaco/

Notes, Quotes, Images - From some of my reading and browsing http://www.livejournal.com/community/jerry_quotes/ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060406/a57323f0/attachment.htm>