[lbo-talk] love stories, second thoughts...

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Thu Apr 6 07:21:36 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Sandy Harris wrote:

> John Adams <jadams01 at sprynet.com> wrote:
>
>>> Maybe science fiction, which is where I was at twelve.
>>
>> That's a thought.
>
> What about the Heinlein juveniles? "The Menace from Earth"
> leaps to mind as a teenage love story.

Those occurred to me, but I'm not sure--with the exception of "The Menace from Earth", which I didn't think of because it's in an adult collection of the same name--they're stories that would interest most girls. I'm also not sure they age all that well.

That said, my pick from those would be _The Star Beast_--Heinlein at his fuzzy-headed liberal best: Kids divorcing parents, boys having to watch out for their reputation, a bureaucrat (who longs to retire home to Kenya) for a hero, multiculturalism as a given. Ah, what could have been...