[lbo-talk] love stories, second thoughts...

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 6 06:44:33 PDT 2006

If I remember correctly, the Stuart Gilbert translation of Camus' L'Etranger was "The Outsider," when originally released in Britain. The first U.S. edition of the same translation was "The Stranger". ... Jerry Monaco

Your right about the Brit trans. But I have the US Knopf edition, also Stuart Gilbert, 1946 where the title was changed to The Stranger. I was most of the way through a bottle of red and getting testy, angry about the complete erasure of times past and the descent into what ever the fuck this period is. The past may not have been golden, but it was sure a hell of lot more fun than this shit. But then it was more fun being nineteen than it is sixteen-three, so who knows.

Daughter of Jacob Bronowski, hmm. I read his Science and Human Values for an anthro class a couple a couple of years after that great summer, but didn't really appreciate it I guess. At the time I didn't see the conflict between the humanities and sciences, since I kept up an interest in both math and biology but never took courses beyond the requirements. Looking him up in Wiki I see he was friends with Robert Graves and Leo Szilard.

But getting back to the English translations. Its interesting that the Brits actually translate in a different style. I discovered this by reading two different translations of Flaubert's notebooks (I think). Maybe it was the difference in periods or just individual translators, but the English version was rather stuffy and dry and the American was alive. Flaubert was pretty raunchy in the American version and there was little hint of that in the Brit version.

About other listmembers---it would be interesting to know what novels made their grestest impression on people...

CG