[lbo-talk] Director of Peace Now threatened with violence

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Thu Apr 6 10:58:39 PDT 2006

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3237047,00.html

Peace Now head threatened

Letter placed at entrance to Yariv Oppenheimer's Ramat Gan home threatens Peace Now director general with use of force if organization does not stop petitioning High Court against West Bank outposts Efrat Weiss

A threatening letter was placed at the door of Peace Now Director General Yariv Oppenheimer in Ramat Gan.

The letter demanded that Peace Now cease petitioning the High Court in a bid to remove unauthorized West Bank outposts.

Oppenheimer submitted a complaint to the Yarkon District Police on Thursday.

The printed letter, which was unsigned, read: "Now listen well, you are not going to petition the High Court regarding all of the settlements you planned to petition over. You will sit at home quietly, like a good boy, do you get it Yariv? It would be a shame if we had to take steps. We don't want to threaten. In the meantime we won't do anything. We'll give you a chance to atone for your deeds. Know that without you the State would not even be thinking of evacuating one outpost."

The letter said that Oppenheimer could choose between two paths.

"Choose whichever you want, one will lead you to satisfaction and the other one to hell," the message read.

On Wednesday, the Peace Now movement petitioned the High Court over six outposts in the West Bank. The movement is attempting to repeat its success last year when it succeeded in getting the High Court to order the destruction of illegal homes in the Amona outpost.

Oppenheimer told Ynet in response: "I hope that police capture everyone who threatens the rule of law, freedom of expression, and the ability to run a democratic state."

(04.06.06, 14:11)