[lbo-talk] Re: love stories ???

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 16:20:12 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06, John Costello <joxn.costello at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/6/06, Gar Lipow <the.typo.boy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/6/06, Daniel Davies <d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > > I would suggest "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.
>

> > You know, that really does have a hell of a lot of appeal to
> > teenagers. Robin Hahnel thinks it is the most fun political novel ever
> > written.
> >

> You guys missed the original stipulation that we're looking for short novels
> or novellas. Atlas Shrugged is four of those.
>
> I'll second Bujold's _Shards of Honor_, which I reread last night while
> thinking about this thread. As a bonus, it now comes bound together with
> _Barryar_.

I'll second Bujold and repeat my rec of "Silver Metal Lover". Another Tanith Lee work, "The Flat Earth" series is also something I also might recommend; it does have a strong sado-maschocistic element though (not as strong as DeSade, but explicitly there) so it would depend on the parent as to whether to give a teenage girl.