[lbo-talk] Re: love stories???

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 09:28:50 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> I simply don't believe these lists of great or near-great books that
> supposedly had determining influnce on the poster. The _really_
> influential books were books probably forgotten by the writers, the
> books that, so to speak, _shoe-horned_ them into those great books they
> now see as so influential.

I wrote my list in the shadow of fear of a certain pompousness, but the specification of novels, plus my assumption that we're thinking of the impact of their entirety, imposes constraints.

Not many novels accessible to pre-adolescents are going to be able to say something lasting about the human condition. The books on science in general and cosmology in particular that I devoured before high school influenced my path far more than I think any fiction could. As did _The Chomsky Reader_ later alter how I view the world. Or how, say, _A Brief History of Neoliberalism_ consolidated and fleshed out what I already knew. Effective novels are more subtle than effective nonfiction.

A reoccuring problem is how examples of sci fi often fail as a whole work, instead of nuggets of ideas and imagination wrapped in near afterthoughts of narrative. The nuggets have impact, but the works don't. _Ringworld_ comes to mind, as does just about anything by Neal Stephenson. His _Diamond Age_ muses on the how a culture's values can influence its viability, considers learning and childhood development, and ponders the meaning of "hypocrisy" all in a package, with all his usual insightful observations and lame ending, that manages to crudely objectify the entire country of China. Impact, sure, but a mixed one.

-- Andy