[lbo-talk] Professor Lisa at Tortilla Flats

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Apr 7 10:13:21 PDT 2006

Doug:
> This touches on one of the interesting - and, to be honest, appealing
> - aspects of Marxism: it's at once an "elitist" and a
> radically egalitarian doctrine. Marx himself made few
> compromises to appeal to a popular audience; even the
> Manifesto requires the reading skills of a high-school
> graduate (according to Microsoft Word's grammar checker,
> which recommends documents aspire to the 7th or 8th grade
> level!). Lenin and Trotsky had high cultural expectations for
> the working class - they wanted proletarians to assimilate
> the best of bourgeois culture. In fact, raising the cultural
> level of the working class seemed central to their
> revolutionary project. That didn't last through the 1920s.
> That's never been too big a part of the American left, has
> it? My Pacifica colleagues mostly frown on anything that
> smacks of elitism.

"Classical" Marxism had an unmistakable Aristotelian touch - the concept of good society as one allowing the full actualization of human potential - hence its uplifting drift. AFIK, the US left, by contrast, has an unmistakable populist and anti-intellectual touch - that the people already know the best (which they learned in the kindergarten, as the popular leftist slogan goes) and a good society is one that re-connects the pie-in-the-sky cultural elites with the masses - hence its downward drift, especially in the realm of culture.

Wojtek