[lbo-talk] Campaign against Muzak

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 7 16:58:06 PDT 2006

Wojtek wrote:

>target iPods, portable players, car stereos andboomboxes that emit
>extremely noxious sound that is physically harmful to human ear
>(more than 120 dB), highly annoying, and almost impossible to ignore by others.

be careful what you wish for:

OH NO! We hear the dum-dum-dum of Radio Raheem's box. As everyone turns their heads to the door, Buggin' Out and Radio Raheem are inside already. We have never heard the rap music as loud as it is now. You have to scream to be heard and that's what they do.

SAL

What did I tell ya 'bout dat noise?

BUGGIN' OUT

What did I tell ya 'bout dem

pictures?

SAL

What da fuck! Are you deaf?

BUGGIN' OUT

No, are you? We want some Black

people up on the Wall of Fame.

SAL

Turn that JUNGLE MUSIC off. We

ain't in Africa.

Ahmad, Cee, Punchy, and Ella start to dance while Mookie takes a seat, the impartial observer that he is.

BUGGIN' OUT

Why it gotta be about jungle music

and Africa?

SAL

It's about turning that shit off

and getting the fuck outta my

pizzeria.

PINO

Radio Raheem.

RADIO RAHEEM

Fuck you.

SAL

What ever happened to nice music

with words you can understand?

RADIO RAHEEM

This is music. My music.

VITO

We're closed.

BUGGIN' OUT

You're closed alright, till you get

some Black people up on that wall.

Sal grabs his Mickey Mantle bat from underneath the counter and brings it down on Radio Raheem's box, again and again and again. The music stops.

[exciting conclusion here: http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/d/do-the-right-thing-script.html ]