[lbo-talk] Something genuinely usefull in robot stopping

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Fri Apr 7 17:24:45 PDT 2006

Jim Devine wrote:

> reminds me of the Human vs. Replicant test in BLADE RUNNER....

Nah, that tested for "empathy" in a particular social context (one in which, for example, not instantly flinching at the mention of a leather coat, as you or I would certainly not do, was a sure index of deviance) and it systematically cut out not only robots but also foreigners and schizophrenics - which, it turned out, was pretty hard on foreigners and schizophrenics, but having been _retired_ they were in no position to complain anyway, right?

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net