[lbo-talk] combined e-mail ;)

Josh Narins josh at narins.net
Sat Apr 8 15:14:31 PDT 2006

> > the
> >>
> >> You miss my point, somehow. A "ranked ballot system" by which I take
> >> you to mean preferential voting wouldn't necessarily permit an
> >> increase in *electable* minor party candidates. (Maybe the opposite,
> >> since preferential voting means a candidate for a single-member seat
> >> must attain over 50% of the two-party preferred vote. Whereas under
> >> first-past-the-post it is possible for a candidate who is the last
> >> choice of a significant majority of voters to get elected, so long as
> >> he or she is the first choice of more voters than any other
> >> candidate. That can't possibly happen with preferential voting.
> >
> >You must be an expert. Certainly not at voting math, but at something.
> >
> >In neither Schulze nor Tideman must the winning candidate get over 50%
> >of the two party preferred.
>
> Yes, these systems however are designed to do the opposite of what
> proportional representation does. they are mutations designed to
> prevent minority groups who are vehemently opposed by a majority of
> the population from being represented in proportion to their voting
> strength. Or at Least Schulze is, never heard of the other one. I
> don't know why you'd mention such systems in the same breath as
> proportional representation though, it wouldn't have occurred to me.

I never brought up PR, Bill. I don't talk about it.

Not only that, I find your characterization of Schulze to be backwards. The difference between Schulze and Tideman is very small. One uses absolute victories, one uses margins.

> Obviously a system designed to *thwart* proportional representation
> isn't a proportional representation system.
>
> >The main point is that people in an FPTP system _must_ hedge their bets,
> >and vote "lesser of two evils" in order to vote strategically.
>
> That would be to vote tactically, not strategically. If you wanted to
> be strategic, you'd keep advocating a vote for the minor parties
> instead of the lesser of the two evils, hopefully causing the lesser
> evil to keep losing elections it could win if there was preferential
> voting. The lesser evil must eventually realise that voter reform was
> very much in their interest and make it their first priority. Apon
> which you might switch to advocating a vote for for the lesser evil.

> > The
> >result, time and time again, when a third party has taken part in the
> >Presidential election, has been the defeat of the more progressive of
> >the two mainstream candidates.
>
> Great! Keep up the good work.
>
> >The Liberty (Abolitionist) Party! Twice they defeated the anti-slavery
> >Presidential candidate (Henry Clay and Lewis Cass).
> >The Greenback (fiat money) Party.
> >The Bull Moose (TR) Party.
> >The Greens in 2000.
>
> The more progressive of the two mainstream candidates is obviously as
> thick as two short planks if it hasn't worked out how to solve its
> problem then. Dumber than George Bush. They deserve to lose.

I see, you preferred Slavery. You prefer Theocracy. You prefer Segregation. You prefer George Walker Bush.

Those are the results you advocate.

And you call ME reactionary?

Are you a Communist who votes Republican because you think it means the revolution will come sooner?

[snipped]