[lbo-talk] Organized Labor Split Over Immigration Bill

Josh Narins josh at narins.net
Sun Apr 9 07:19:14 PDT 2006

> Steven L. Robinson wrote:
>
> >AFL-CIO's executive vice president, Linda Chavez-Thompson says that workers
> >in these guest programs "are always dependent on their host employers for
> >both their livelihoods and legal status to work in the United States. Guest
> >workers are never truly free, rendering them ripe for exploitation."
> >
> >Eliseo Medina, vice president of the Service Employees Union, says that
> >supporting the McCain-Kennedy bill, including its guest worker provision,
> >gives his union an opportunity to be part of the debate in Congress. "You
> >can't just simply get into that debate by saying nothing out there meets
> >our
> >expectations."
>
> What do people think of these competing positions?

That the head of SEIU has proved himself, yet again, to be firmly allied with the DLC faction(s) of the left?

DLC stands, officially, for Democrat Leadership Council, and was started by Clinton, contains Lieberman, Bayh, Landrieu, and other centrist Dems.

Unofficially, it stands for "Democrats Looking for Cash"

Industrial workers are far less likely to be immediately threatened by the guest worker program than service workers.

You can be darn sure SEIU President Andy Stern didn't take a vote on this.

Look at what the SEIU web page headlines about it:

"Fixing Our Broken Immigration System

See how SEIU is supporting immigration reform that improves pay and benefits for all workers."

All workers? Its as bad as Bush. As bad as the Murdoch-left of Australia (was Latham independent of Murdoch, sure seemed it, that would make him the first independent leftist there since Whitlam was sacked, by my ignorant reckoning).