[lbo-talk] Gnostic Gospels and Conspiracy Theory

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 10:03:17 PDT 2006

Carrol wrote: "I do believe that there has been among leftists (both atheist & christian) a good deal of wishful thinking about the early church."

Gnostic Gospels are like bad "indie" films that some people feel obligated to champion (just because they are "indie"!) against the Synoptic Gospels, which are like good Hollywood films.

Jim wrote: <blockquote>On 4/9/06, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> I'm thin on biblical history, but I have some faint notion that there
> were lots of "gospels" -- some got to be official, some not. I suspect
> "Life of Brian" came closest to the truth -- there were prophets on
> every corner; Jesus was one of them; certain narratives were chosen
> over the others for all sorts of arbitrary and circumstantial reason.

right.</blockquote>

That's not me -- that's Joanna. :->

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>