[lbo-talk] Gravitas redux?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Apr 10 12:18:09 PDT 2006

> I pose the thought because this weekend I finally saw (twice) "Good Night,
> and Good Luck," easily the best film I've seen since "Fahrenheit 9/11."
> David Strathairn was eerily exact in capturing Murrow's riveting,
> grave-as-the-grave broadcast style, but his astonishing performance was
> just one of many compelling elements in a movie that was earnest without
> being sanctimonious and serious without being pompous.

> Carl

But Carl, I thought you hated Hollywood and said it was a spent force? And yet . . .

I do agree with you about Strathairn, whom I've long liked and respected. His performance was easily the best among those nominated for the Oscar (I just saw "Capote," and while I thought Hoffman's take was pretty good, the film itself was a slog), with the possible exception of Heath Ledger. But then, if the Academy is gonna award a queer performance, better make sure it's less threatening, like Capote.

Dennis