[lbo-talk] Something genuinely usefull in robot stopping

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Sun Apr 9 15:41:11 PDT 2006

Chris Doss wrote:

> Are there ANY prominent non-evil female characters in

> Dick's books? There's the woman with cancer in Valis,

> the teenage drug-dealer in the same book, and the

> personification of the Torah in the Divine Invasion.

> Other than that I'm drawing a blank. And the

> personification of the Torah was one-half of God, so

> I'm not sure if she/it counts.

Women in the later Dick are mostly icy and incomprehensible when not outright mad, like Pris Frauenzimmer or Lilo Topchev; still, an improvement over women's roles in his earlier books, big-tittied props in a California Man's World:

"...a waitress wearing the lace stocking and partial jacket-vest combination now popular: it left one breast, the right, exposed, and its nipple was elegantly capped by a Swiss ornament with many minned parts; the ornament, shaped like a large gold pencil eraser, played semi-classical music and lit up in a series of attractive shifting light patterns which focused on the floor ahead of her..."

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net