[lbo-talk] Henwood on immigration

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 18:58:11 PDT 2006

Wojtek wrote:

> So given these two problems, what is it exactly that
> would make ordinary people opt for cross-border
> solidarity with their fellow grunts rather than for
> mindless consumerism cum religious escapism or
> nativist fascism?

Forgive my being so formulaic, but there are two sets of factors: objective and subjective. The objective factors are increasing interdependence in their workplaces and lives. As they get to interact and rely more regularly on one another as parties in commercial transactions, coworkers, members of social institutions (schools, churches, civic organizations, lbo-talk list, etc.), neighbors, in-law relatives, mates, etc., the need for solidarity among them will increase. As their living and working conditions have more commonalities (basically, facing the same enemy), same same.... The subjective factors are those related to their becoming increasingly aware of their interdependence and basic commonality of interest vis-a-vis those who live off accumulated wealth and power -- and then taking concrete steps to unite in spite of the differences. It's an iterative process, chicken and egg.

Julio