[Fwd: Re: [lbo-talk] Henwood on immigration]

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Apr 9 23:19:53 PDT 2006

Seth Ackerman wrote:

>> I'd go further. What is the economic basis of cross-border
>> working-class solidarity? This might sound heretical, but the fact is
>> that workers at grossly different levels of development usually don't
>> have the same economic interests. At least not in any obvious way.
>> The easiest way for Chinese workers to get richer is by taking
>> advantage of their low wages to take away market share and investment
>> from Western workers. There is no obvious basis for solidarity under
>> those conditions. I'd like the opposite to be true.

The basis is this, that the money the more privileged workers are getting is not being taken away by the poorer workers but by the bosses. And, so long as the working class is split into black and white, american and chinese, young and old, the race to the bottom will continue. The only thing the privileged workers are gaining by shutting out others is a sliver of time. But their children will surely be fucked.

That's the basis.

Joanna