[lbo-talk] V for Vendetta Roundtable

Guest lbodownload at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 03:25:32 PDT 2006

--- "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Guest" wrote:
>
> "So this movie included some gay people but they
> were
> not the center of the story and that got you all
> worked up so you stomped off to some hipster record
> store to get clean of the taint of white bourgeois
> hypocrisy. "
>
> ---
>
> Two Hipsters Angrily Call Each Other 'Hipster'

Me, a hipster? So linguistics and pulp SF are hip now? I always knew the fashions would catch up eventually.

Anyway, no in answer to doug, it wasn't a 'nice' post but I felt like brian's review was mostly about brian.

That's why I directed my little one-off jab at him rather than the post. Maybe I was a little too harsh.

B. said that his real beef was with 'the way that homosexual lives are useful only to the degree that they have importants for het. lives' or something like that. That's not a substantial objection in my opinion B. has jsut defined the role of a supporting character. That's what supporting characters do, they support the main characters, who happen, yes, in this case to be straight.

It would be completely awesome if more movies featured gay protagonists and I can understand that B. must feel some frustration when promising gay characters are relegated to supporting roles in a film, but see I doubt that the action movie we are talking about here wounded anyone's delicate soul.

Phew. Now how do i get ahold of a PBR in the middle of bloody taiwan?