[lbo-talk] Hersh on Bush & Iran

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Apr 10 06:52:35 PDT 2006

Your late father in law sounds like he stepped from the pages of E. B. Sledge's, "With the Old Breed : At Peleliu and Okinawa," one of the best books ever written on an infantryman's experience of war and combat.

andie nachgeborenen

My late father in law, one of the most honorable, gentle, and decent men I have ever known -- and utterly respectful to women -- was a Marine in World War II. He'd volunteered before the war for the same reason that kids volunteer now, because he was poor and the service was a job. His unit was the first posted to Pearl Harbor aftyer the attack. He fought through some of the worst battles of the Pacific, and never talked about it. I have no doubt that he saw and maybe did things that were unspeakable; he had nighmares about the war until he died a few years ago. I have never known anyone who hated war more than he did, and he wasn't a pacifist either. But he was always proud, for all that, to have been a Marine -- prouder of that than to have been the first in his family to go to college or to have been one of the first Jews at Princeton -- the Marines sent him there. Assholes? Sadistic temperments? I've seen lots of those in university professorships and big law firms. Don't talk to me about the Marines.