[lbo-talk] Professor Lisa at Tortilla Flats

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 14:09:45 PDT 2006

Yes, the idea that rock 'n roll is "devolved" from (read: inferior to) folk, or blues, etc., is, as SNL's Horatio Sanz would say, "bullshein."

Joanna wrote:

"I have already described the devolution of folk art into commodified mass market art: gospel/jazz/blues into rock for example."

Also, to Sandy, below, of course the Stones did perform basically "Let's Spend the Night Together" on Ed Sullivan, only as "Let's Spend Some Time Together," just as many current shows -- like Saturday Night Live -- demand bands modify lyrics or content to fit the FCC's or prudish host's tastes. And that version of "Let's Spend the Night Together," live on Sullivan -- which I have -- is one of the most hard-charged, driving bits of rock n' roll from the 60's I've heard, up there with any underground proto-punk 60s garage classic. About as unexpectedly good as their appearance during the closing credits of "'V' for Vendetta" w/ their homage to Paris May '68, "Street Fighting Man."

However, after "Tattoo You" the Stones became irrelevant, if not before then. So -- let China have'em, I say! =)

-B.

Sandy Harris wrote:

"I find it ironic that Ed sullivan who started as a red-baiting journalist wouldn't let them play 'Let's Spend the Night Together' on his show 30-odd years ago, and now we see the Chinese gov't censoring exactly the same thing, and probably for much the same reasons."