[lbo-talk] Professor Lisa at Tortilla Flats

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 10 20:56:08 PDT 2006

Carrol Cox wrote:

>On the contrary. I have been thinking about this for about 30 years, and
>of all the statements I've made on LBO this is almost the only one of
>which I am absolutely certain of its validity. The belief in the rarity
>of great art is one of the greatest handicaps a cultural theorist can
>carry.

You've got a point. There's lots of great stuff around - more than I could ever get to. One of the reasons to have generic preferences is that there's just not enough time to explore everything. Even just sitting here at my computer, there's always some great piece of music I can launch on iTunes, and one that I haven't heard in months or years. Sure there's lots of suckiness around, but you can mostly ignore it.

Doug