[lbo-talk] Hersh on Bush & Iran

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 11:51:56 PDT 2006

On the other hand, it seems that Doug was talking about people who knew something about Iraq. It now seems, in hindsight, that a pretty good test for the people who actually did know something about Iraq are the people who predicted the civil war--and, within the administration, many of those folks were ignored or fired. Not that this helps with predictions about Iran. I doubt Bush consulted LBO-Talk at all, but an interesting point on that front as well (I wasn't watching this list, but haven't seen any mea culpa's lately.)

Still I am not sure whether the question is if it would be crazy to use a tactical nuke (or stupid or a "miscalculation") or if the current administration is that crazy/stupid/inept. It would seem the answers are yes and maybe, but I am not sure what the overall strategy is of the first one or how capable these planners are in working through the tactics of anything more than a hearty game of beer pong. As in that game, this one seems to make your aim and thinking worse the more you lose. Eventually you just start pelting the ball to see if you can hit something: this almost never works, but it seems like a good idea at the time. Who knows, maybe you'll win: there's always a chance, right?

-s