[lbo-talk] Newt: time to get out of Iraq

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 15:36:00 PDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:
> Gingrich was at USD for the inaugural Edmund Burke Lecture, named
> after a man who is known as the father of modern conservatism.
>
> ^^^^^
> CB: As opposed to old fashion conservatism ?

Capitalist conservatism as opposed to feudalist conservatism. One example I posted in a comment in Bitchlab was that Burke was a conservative pluralist. It was the conventional wisdom in his day that "faction" or "party" was a bad thing, that no factions or parties should be allowed. Political parties by that time were an established fact of British life, unlikely to be eliminated. He suggested that instead of condemning factions they should be allowed, tolerated and praised - because if you had enough factions they would fight each other in so many different ways it would almost be the same as having none. Nothing new about divide and rule,; but 'give people the freedom to do so, and they will divide themselves' -- that was clever.