[lbo-talk] Hersh on Bush & Iran

Louis Kontos lkontos at mac.com
Tue Apr 11 19:14:12 PDT 2006

Woj, you're presenting false dichotomies and choices as I see it: moralism vs realism, the elimination of the military vs reforming it. Also, I see no need to compare the U.S. military to Rwandan militias, or Liberia etc. Wife beaters can draw similar comparisons between themselves and worse wife beaters -- since there is always something worse. I don't believe that the personnel of the Armed Forces are especially sadistic, more so than, say, wall street or academic types. I don't believe that moral appeals are of much value -- unless they come from the church, or WWII veterans or others deemed pillars of moral virtue or accomplishment within the mainstream -- given the moral fervor surrounding military adventures, one after another. Yet I do believe in speaking clearly about such issues, including the issue of imperialism / colonialism. If the nation maintains hysterical fear, indifference to the plight of others around the world, a sense of righteousness and entitlement against the claims and grievances of all others, and concomitantly, continues to value and trust the military over other institutions, like education, government and media, there is no possibility of meaningful social debate or change -- reformist, incrementalist, or otherwise. To say this is not to moralize, but simply to try to come to terms with real problems and struggles ahead. Moreover, nobody on this list -- certainly not me -- argued for the elimination of the military. To have a military that protects people from 'imminent' threats, is one thing, and to spend 400 plus billion dollars (not including Iraq) on a military geared toward adventures that serve the interests of a small elite, to expand the empire in 'our name' without our consent (expect what has been manufactured through ubiquitous propaganda), well, that's another thing. No moralism in speaking clearly about the difference. I don't believe that talking about military personnel as misguided or victimized by poverty or anything else provides a basis for appealing to those personnel, nor anybody. Louis