[lbo-talk] A Tale of Two Post-Soviet Elections (the eXile)

Julian Gollop gollop at bol.bg
Wed Apr 12 01:23:00 PDT 2006

"streets are clean and well-paved; roads are better than in nearby Russian regions; and the state health care system is functioning well."

Hmmm, we could do with some of this in Bulgaria. The pavements of Sofia (sidewalks, as you say) are virtually destroyed, there is a severe garbage disposal crisis and the public health system is in a state of total collapse.

I read somewhere recently that Belarus's preferential gas prices are being renegotiated by Russia, so I guess that would have some impact on the economy, but I don't know how much.

Bulgaria's politics is definitely more similar to the Ukraine - we are now governed by a coalition of 3 coalitions. Perhaps the difference is the underwhelming response to the election campaign from the Bulgarian public.

Julian Gollop