[lbo-talk] Bulgarian Trade Unions Threaten Cabinet with Massive Protest

Julian Gollop gollop at bol.bg
Wed Apr 12 01:33:20 PDT 2006

>From the Sofia News Agency:

"Bulgaria's trade unions KNSB and Podkrepa will organize a massive protest in May unless the households' incomes increase.

The real average salary is twice lower than it was in the beginning of the transition in Bulgaria. 35% of the households are below the poverty threshold, KNSB leader doctor Zhelyazko Hristov said.

The syndicates are willing a clear prognosis for the enhancement of the minimal salary in the country.

The trade unions want the cabinet and the employers to find a new payment policy, which would guarantee the annual increase of the salaries, Hristov added. He also explained that some 70,000 people have declared readiness to join a dational demonstration."

Hmmm... I will believe it when I see it, but at least the union leadership is making some sort of a stand.

Julian Gollop