[lbo-talk] Fact-checking Anonymous Sources?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 12:53:34 PDT 2006

Chuck Grimes:

My guess is the US is pushing for some form of sanctions that will be completely unacceptible to Iran. As far as I know Iran hasn't done anything against the non-proliferation treaty. They have simply ignored the IAEA---which is a much more minor offense than a treaty violation. They are allowed to develop nuclear fuel under the treaty and that is what they claim to be doing.

Precisely.

Note how, even in lefty discourse on this topic, the details of the NPT are ignored or tossed aside in favor of Washington's crisis framing of the issue. Under the NPT, Iran is allowed to enrich uranium and otherwise carry on with nuclear development for peaceful domestic uses.

It is Washington which has effectively smoke-screened that fact, convincing even those of us who should know better Tehran's pursuit of nuclear technology represents a clear and present danger.

.d.

--------- "If human beings had more of a sene of humor, things might have turned out differently."

Stanislav Lem

http://monroelab.net/blog/