[lbo-talk] Britain's top scientist sees dangerous rise in global warming...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 14 06:04:52 PDT 2006

According to Stiglitz, the invasion/occupation of Iraq is a multi-trillion dollar venture, yet the people functioning as the executive committee of the ruling class either don't get it or, more likely, they aren't listening to thing which contradict their dogmas, as Hersh has pointed out in recent interviews.

Regards, Mike B)

"We don't have to succumb to a state of despondency where we say that there is nothing we can do, so let's just carry on living as per usual," he said. "It is very important to understand that we can manage the risks."

"What we are talking about here is something that will play through over decades. We are talking 100 years or so. We need to begin that process of investment. It is going to be a major challenge for the developing countries."

Blair wants to see a global consensus on global warming that goes beyond the disputed Kyoto protocol and puts China and India -- both economically booming -- at the heart of the issue.

But the United States in particular is opposed to slashing carbon dioxide emissions, while the European Union -- including Britain -- proposed in 2002 limiting a rise in the average global temperature to two degrees centigrade.

King said the situation would be even worse if the average global temperature broke through the three degrees centigrade level.

"If we go beyond 500 parts per million, we reach levels of temperature increase and sea level rise in terms of the coming century which would be extremely difficult for world populations to manage," he said.

He lashed out at politicians who feel the answer lies in new technologies which produce cleaner fuels, saying they ought to start listening to scientists instead.

"There is a difference between optimism and (putting one's) head in the sand," he said.

"Quite clearly what we have to do as we move forward with these discussions is see that this consensus position of the scientific community is brought right into the table where the discussions are taking place."

full: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060414/sc_afp/britainclimatewarming&printer=1;_ylt=Ao5Ez_jJH1u9U0ijtA43CtPQOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal