[lbo-talk] Oil at $69 per barrel

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 11:13:16 PDT 2006

The punk band The Wrangler Brutes (ex-Born Against) had a song just a few years ago called "$45 (a Barrel)" that predicted all kinds of calamity if oil prices rose above $45 per barrel. Now oil is at about $70 per barrel, and gas is a whopping 45 cents more per gallon than it was last year.

Yeah, energy should be greener, Amricans need to rely less on gasoline, Europeans pay more so be thankful, yadda yadda. You'd find no bigger supporter of the idea that we oughta kick the gas habit than me. But this really hits working people, poorer folks, even middle income people, extremely hard. When you live in such a paragon of urban sprawl as the DFW metroplex, bike riding is just not possible every day -- let alone in the summer months.

This really sucks. It really noticeably eats into your (my) disposeable income.

-B.

Oil Prices Rise Above $69 Per Barrel

By MADLEN READ, AP Business Writer Fri Apr 14, 12:11 AM ET

Oil prices rose above $69 a barrel on Thursday ahead of the long weekend, as worries about possible supply disruptions overshadowed the news that U.S. crude inventories are at their highest level in eight years.

Gasoline prices also rose, extending gains that have begun to trickle down to U.S. consumers, who are now paying on average $2.717 for a gallon of gasoline, according to AAA's daily fuel gauge report Thursday. That is up more than 45 cents from a year ago.