[lbo-talk] Oil & Russia

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Apr 15 13:16:38 PDT 2006

>>PS. a "doctor" in Russia is not a doctor in the US. It
>>requires only 5-6 years of schooling. They all know
>>Latin however, since Russian prescriptions are written
>>in that language. Or at least a modicum of Latin.
>
> My college degree is in Latin, and I can't read a word
> of it! But how much Latin do they need?

One time I was flying from Newark to LAX and shortly after takeoff, I had the most amazing amount of pressure build up in my ears. I thought my head was going to explode ... and then, it did. Or rather, my eardrum ruptured. Boy, that felt so much better! But then it started to bleed. Only a little, but it freaked the flight attendant out. 5 hours later, I made my way to an emergency room in LA. First I had to check in, and give them my insurance card. The nice lady said: sit over there, someone will be out to see you. A while later, someone in scrubs came out with a clipboard. What seems to be the trouble? Well you see: it's my right ear. I was on a flight ... Ok, [scribble, scribble], we'll be with you in a bit.

Next interaction: someone to take my vitals. "So what seems to be be wrong with your left leg?" "Uh, it's actually my right ear." "Ya don't say, well [scribble, scribble] ... we use Latin, so ..."

A while later, a nurse took me behind a screen. "So what seems to be the trouble with your right arm?" "Uh, actually it's my right ear." [scribble, scribble] "You know, we use the Latin for this stuff ... the doctor will see you shortly"

"So pal, what's wrong with your left eye?"

----

Latin my ass.

/jordan