[lbo-talk] Canadians not quite as god-besotted as Americans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 15 13:57:42 PDT 2006

RELIGION ALIVE AND WELL IN CANADA But While Many Christian Beliefs Are Holding Ground In Canada, Some Appear To Have Weakened Slightly In The United States From 10 Years Ago

Toronto, ON-Today six in ten Canadians (62%, essentially unchanged from 63% in 1996) believe that "through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, God provided the way for the forgiveness of sins", according to one of the many findings of a new Ipsos Reid poll conducted in both Canada and the United States in the week leading up to the Easter Holiday. The survey, conducted on behalf of CanWest News Service/Global News shows that many Christian beliefs among Canadians have remained largely unchanged from 1996 to today. But while theseChristian beliefs are holding their ground in Canada, some appear to have weakened slightly in the United States from 10 years ago. These are the findings of an Ipsos Reid poll conducted for CanWest News Service/Global News. For the survey, a representative sample of 814 adult Canadians, and 768 adult Americans were interviewed via telephone, from April 11th-12th, 2006. The sample used in this study has been weighted according toCensus data to accurately reflect the population of both countries. With a sample of this size, the results for both countries are considered accurate to within ±3.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, of what they would have been had the entire population of each country been polled. The margin of error will be larger within each sub-grouping of the survey population.

For each of the following statements, please tell me if you agree or disagree:

agree

1996 2006 chg

CANADA

I believe that through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, God provided the way for the forgiveness of my sins 63% 62% -1%

I have committed my life to Christ and consider myself to be a converted Christian 35% 41% +6%

I feel it is very important to encourage non-Christians to become Christians 26% 25% -1%

The world will end in the Battle of Armageddon between Jesus and the Antichrist 17% 20% +3%

U.S.

I believe that through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, God provided the way for the forgiveness of my sins. 84% 76% -8%

I have committed my life to Christ and consider myself to be a converted Christian. 60% 60% 0%

I feel it is very important to encourage non-Christians to become Christians. 53% 46% -7%

The world will end in the Battle of Armageddon between Jesus and the Antichrist. 42% 46% +4% ' '

Four In Ten Canadians (42%)/Six In Ten Americans (58%) Feel That They Have Been In The Presence Of God...

Church Attendance Has Remained Stable In Canada And U.S. Since Ten Years Ago...

Other than on special occasions, such as weddings, funerals or baptisms, how often did you attend religious services or meetings in the last 12 months?

1996 2006 Change

CANADA

More than once a week 7% 6% -1% Once a week 14% 11% -3% A few times a month 11% 6% -5% Once a month 5% 5% 0% A few times a year 20% 18% -2% At least once a year 10% 14% 4% Not at all 33% 37% 4%

UNITED STATES

More than once a week 18% 15% -3% Once a week 21% 21% 0% A few times a month 14% 11% -3% Once a month 7% 6% -1% A few times a year 17% 15% -2% At least once a year 7% 6% -1% Not at all 17% 25% 8%