[lbo-talk] Neil Young's latest

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat Apr 15 18:38:24 PDT 2006

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/7145.html

Neil Young to the rescue

Posted By Carpetbagger On 14th April 2006 @ 13:26 In General | 25 Comments

Neil Young has a new song coming out; I think you might like it. It's called "Impeach the President." (Thanks to Ed for the heads-up.)

Apparently it was recorded with a 100-voice choir. Rumors have circulated the past few days on the Web, but E&P has tracked down the strongest confirmation in a blog kept by Sherman Oaks, Ca. musician/singer Alicia Morgan.

Previous reports quoted hints by Young and Jonathan Demme (who directed the new documentary "Heart of Gold") that Neil was working on a hard-rocking political or "anti-Bush" CD.

Last Friday, Morgan wrote on her LastLeftB4Hooterville blog that she had been "summoned" to a local studio to sing on the new record with 99 others. "I'm not going to give the whole thing away, but the first line of one of the songs was 'Let's impeach the President for lyin'!' Turns out the whole thing is a classic beautiful protest record. The session was like being at a 12-hour peace rally. Every time new lyrics would come up on the screen, there were cheers, tears and applause. It was a spiritual experience. I can't believe my good fortune at being a part of this."

The new album is reportedly going to be called "Living With War," described by Demme as "a brilliant electric assault" that should be in stores soon. Harp magazine also reported:

"Details are pretty scarce, but the featured track, titled 'Impeach the President,' features a rap with Bush's voice set to the choir chanting 'flip/flop' and the like."

Sounds like something to look forward to.

I'd add, by the way, that I'm glad to see that politically-relevant music still exists. Green Day's video in support of "Wake Me Up When September Comes" was a powerful statement on the war. Eminem's "Mosh" in 2004 captured the idea of voting (against Bush) as an act of rage. The Rolling Stones' "Sweet Neo Con" is about, well, you can probably guess.

The more of this, the better.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam