[lbo-talk] Re: [Fwd: [bluegreenearth] Fan Who Called Dylan 'Judas'Breaks 33 Years of Silence

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Sun Apr 16 13:40:54 PDT 2006

> From: "Michael Pugliese" <michael.098762001 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] [Fwd: [bluegreenearth] Fan Who Called Dylan
> 'Judas'Breaks 33 Years OfSilence]
>
> Spell check time. S/B Irwin Silber. His Sing Out denunciation of
> Dylan in the form of a Open Letter is reprinted in several of the
> anthologies on Dylan. (The one I used to have from Da Capo press had a
> great interview w/ him by Joan Didion.)

I can't believe I'm posting this reference instead of Michael, but:

http://www.zmag.org/ZMag/articles/sept01silber.htm

Commies A Journey Through the Old Left, the New Left and the Leftover Left By Ronald Radosh Encounter Books, San Francisco, 2001 Review by Irwin Silber [...]

And a very fine review it is.

and also:

http://www.furious.com/Perfect/irwinsilber.html Q: A few years after your open letter to Bob Dylan, you wrote a piece for the Guardian which was a lot more accepting of his new directions. What was changing your view?

IS: My open letter was written at a moment when I was really disappointed, as I said before. I think what I wrote, I'd stand by, but if I had to do it all over again I don't think I would write it in the same tone and in the same way. Writing it reflected a certain naivete on my part, that, well, maybe his rush in this direction could be checked or modified, whatever it was. But once what Dylan was doing became a fait accompli, it was clear that this wasn't in the cards. And so three years later, I was ready to deal with the Bob Dylan that existed, and not the Bob Dylan that I remembered from those first years. I don't recall the article particularly, but I know generally, when I wrote about Dylan or made reference to him in anything that I wrote, I don't think I did that much, it was more an attempt to appreciate what he was doing and evaluating that in its own right.

uating that in its own right.