[lbo-talk] The Gospel of Judas - Wrong Version?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 16:19:15 PDT 2006

On 4/16/06, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, the church gets you a building, tax exempt status, tithing, etc.
>
> Joanna
>
> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > Dennis Perrin wrote:
> >
> >> "A born again christian once tole me a unitarian joke:
> >>
> >> "'A unitarian is some one who believes in at most one god.'"
> >>
> >> Joanna
> >>
> >> I have a soft spot for Unitarians.
> >

> > I don't get why they need a "church" as a container for such squishy
> > doctrines. Why not just be humanists, or liberals, or social
> > democrats, or hippies?
> >
> > Doug

Because in spite of the jokes most of them do believe in God; Unitarianism provides a place for non-secular humanists. My Mom, who babysat the Rosenberg kids briefly, tells me that there were many more Unitarians than Jews in the fight to save the Rosenbergs. In Los Angeles, when people gathered to pray as they were executed, those prayers were led by Unitarian minister Steve Fritchman , not by a Rabbi; I don't think a Rabbi could be found in the Los Angeles area to pray openly for the Rosenbergs.