[lbo-talk] Re: The Gospel of Judas/Easter Hope

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 06:50:31 PDT 2006

Didn't the Arians eventually evolve into the Nestorians, who were later (mostly*) annihilated by Tamerlane? Or I am mixing things up.

*I say "mostly" because there are Nestorians around. My grand school roommate was thinking about converting at one point (from Roman Catholocism via a flirtation with Russian Orthodoxy).

--- Paul <paul_ at igc.org> wrote: The Arians apparently did not take on the Eastern mysticism/esoteric knowledge of the Gnostics which the Greco-Roman world (with their love of reason) must have despised. Likewise the Arians avoided taking sides in the East/West "culture wars" over the physical vs. spiritual nature of Christ. Their solution was "logical": only one God. To me this sounds like they had a social base among the Hellenic elite of eastern cities (Alexandria being very Hellenic). A blend of Eastern dissent without being steeped in Eastern popular culture. With their more "universalist" framework, these ideas could be more readily transplanted to Northern Europe.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!