[lbo-talk] The Christian War on Yuppies

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Apr 17 07:30:58 PDT 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>> You're in Jersey, no? My old part of Jersey has blue laws, and most
>>> stores are shut on Sundays.
>>
>> Wasn't that blown open in our youth by Two Guys? I think it's now just
>> custom.
>
> All the big stores are closed, and I have a hard time believing they'd do
> it if they didn't have to.

I'll be damned. I thought I remembered clearly that after 20 years, Two Guys finally won in the NJ courts in the 1970s when the state court struck the blues laws down. My father was very chuffed about it. He used to shop at Two Guys on Sundays on principle.

Originally named Two Guys from Harrison, they had sold clothing on Sundays since the 1950s, paying the fines and still making a profit due to the lack of competition. I could swear I remember everyone commenting on the irony that shortly after they won their case, they went out of business, unable to compete with the big boys in the malls they'd finally freed to compete with them.

Am I totally misremembering this? Or did something happen to reverse it?

Michael