[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Apr 17 14:33:50 PDT 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Marta Russell wrote:
>

>> Did Douglas Massey think about disabled unemployment rate of 70%?
>> I find that most sociologists completely leave out the impact of
>> policy on the disabled population.
>>

> So you're saying that immigrants steal jobs from native born people
> with disabilities? This is certainly a fresh take on pitting the
> oppressed against the oppressed. I thought you were a Marxist.
>
> Doug

I'll ask my question again. Did Douglas Massey think about the disabled unemployment rate of 70%? Was that factored into the plusses and minuses of Mexican labor in America?

All able-bodied people take jobs first. Disabled people are the first to get fired and the last to be hired. See the work of Peter Blanck and others. My point is that you should not exclude a population of about 54 million disabled people living in the US alone when you do your sociologist thing but it happens all the time.

You would not say the same thing about black people in New Orleans complaining about the fact that corporations and contractors were hiring illegal immigrant labor to rebuild NO while they had no jobs would you????

Marta -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060417/1aa8cedd/attachment.htm>