[lbo-talk] Re: Text of UNSC Resolution on Iran

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Mon Apr 17 17:25:02 PDT 2006

Thanks for distributing this. A minor point about the subject heading (which I can well imagine was written in quick shorthand).

This is NOT a Security Council Resolution, it is no more than a statement by the President of the Security Council (the Presidency rotates each month). The US/UK/France sought to have a Resolution and this modality was rejected, in a sometimes bitter dispute (as was much of the proposed language). While a Presidential Statement is usually fully negotiated, it is technically no more than the President's personal sense of Council opinion. Unlike a Resolution, it has no standing under international law (don't ask).

I take the time to remind us of this because one suspects that in coming weeks "they" will try to fudge this point and claim far more international legitimacy than was in fact given.

Paul