[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Apr 17 18:51:36 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> And what's wrong with 21 languages? I think the diversity of big
> American cities is wonderful. It's sad that the diversity comes with so
> much poverty, but we don't have to make it worse by seeing it as a waste
> of resources.

People who feel threatened by their neighbors speaking 21 different languages are the same people (most Americans) who think that there is such a thing as an "American." The people who live on the occupied territory known as the "USA" are diverse and hardly fit some monocultural "American" identity.

On another note, I had my own problems this weekend traveling in post-9/11 AmeriKKKa. I flew out to Los Angeles to attend an anarchist conference at Pitzer College. I found out when I tried to rent a car that my driver's license expired a year ago. Fucking Virginia and the bad fonts they use on their licenses! This caused me some anxiety on my trip home, but I made it through TSA security without any problems.

Not a fun reminder that being able to travel freely in this country is a privilege.

Delete all borders!

Chuck0