[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Apr 17 20:33:01 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>
>> Speaking of Canadianization, an academic from Canada who was at the
>> L.A. anarchist conference, talked about his research on how Canada
>> used the McKinley assassination to develop a more homogenous Canadian
>> identity.
>>
>> I can provide more details offlist if anybody is interested.
>

> Onlist, please. That sounds interesting.

Travis Tomchuk (some university in Ontario) "Agitators of Alien Birth: Representations of Anarchists in Early Twentieth Century Canadian Print Media" "In this presentation I will argue that the portrayal of anarchists as violent foreigners was integral to the creation of political citizenship in Canada. Anarchists who found themselves on the margins of Canadian society helped shape the centre by illuminating the limits of the status quo."

My podcast this week will include an excerpt of Allan Antliff's talk on the anarchism of anti-colonial Indian anarchist Ananda Coomaraswamy.

Chuck