[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 18 06:36:38 PDT 2006

>From: Wojtek Sokolowski <wsokol52 at yahoo.com>
>
>... Some groups (e.g. Germans)
>tended to assimilate quickly and lose their national
>identity (cf. Pennsylvania "Dutch" which is a clever
>makeover of Deutsch).

During World War I, German-Americans had good reason to lose their national identity. And the Pennsylvania Dutch aren't the only folks who underwent clever makeovers. Cf. the British royal family who came from the Houses of Hanover and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and at the time of WWI were rechristened "Windsors" while their close relatives the Battenburgs became the Mountbattens.

Carl