[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Apr 18 07:56:18 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> And yet, many of the immigrant workers -- including undocumented
> workers -- who participated in recent demonstrations *in effect went
> on political strikes,* as the demonstrations fell on their work days.
> Some of them got fired as a result, and then communities pressured
> bosses to hire many of them back. That's more than you can say for
> American-born workers. I look forward to May Day this year!

As I said several weeks ago: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

American leftists and organized labor are very good at making excuses for their failures.

New social movements have been more successful and they face the same hurdles.

So perhaps the apologists for organized labor should shut the fuck up and actually go out and practice what they preach. I suspect that instead they will stick their wet finger in the wind and wait for the "right historical conditions" to happen. I don't believe any of that deterministic bullshit--you go out and make history.

Chuck