[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 08:29:42 PDT 2006

Wojtek wrote:

>My explanation, informed by the views of Thomas and
>Znaniecki on immigration

Don't you think that was more a commentary/attempt at explaining a transient social reality than something that could be projected or applied more broadly. Poles in this country are so well assimilated as to essentially indistinguishable from other whites. Of course you have Greenpoint/Riverhead/certain neighborhoods in Chicago and other Midwestern cities, but that seems a function of recentness of arrival.

A Japanese enclave has been developing around East 9th Street in New York for some years. I wouldn't place Japanese nationals anywhere near Poles on a 'collectivist' continuum.