Immigration and Retirement Re: [lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Apr 18 10:51:09 PDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Marta wrote:
>
>> What is so wonderful about retaining a national identity? Really?
>>
>> Doug
>>
>> How would you like to retire on the Mexican retirement plan -- get
>> ziltch?
>>

> How do immigrants prepare for retirement? I'd be very interested in
> learning about that. Some of the migrant workers -- say, those who
> leave their countries as teenagers and never go back home -- pay into
> only one country's retirement system. Others have already paid into
> their home countries' retirement systems for some years -- I did when
> I was in Japan -- and then pay into their adopted countries'
> retirement systems. Can those of us who fall into the latter category
> in the US draw on more than the US retirement system? Does that
> depend on whether you retain your home country's citizenship? If we
> can draw on only the US retirement system and lose what we PAID into
> our home countries' systems, we will be shortchanged!
>
> --
> Yoshie

You would probably be eligible for your work retirement in Japan esp if it was within a corporation's retirement plan. But we are still talking about a nation, the nation of Japan. So if you cannot draw on what you contributed in one country laws should be changed so that one can. That only seems fair. People should not be punished because they work in other countries.

Marta -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060418/21699bf8/attachment.htm>