[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 18 12:36:54 PDT 2006

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

>Marta writes:
>
>>The keener view IMHO is that this overcrowding is desirable to the
>>ruling elite because it will run the programs into the ground and it
>>will cleanse the population of the most ill i.e., most costly.
>
>OK, but what does that have to do with immigration?

<http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/70xx/doc7030/s1932updat.pdf>

Documentation of Citizenship

* CBO estimates that requiring enrollees to document their U.S. citizenship would reduce Medicaid spending by $220 million over five years and by $735 million over ten years. We expect that provision would result in an estimated 35,000 Medicaid enrollees losing coverage by 2015.

* CBO expects that most of those losing coverage would be illegal immigrants; the remainder would be citizens who were unable to produce documentary evidence of their citizenship.

[CBO's five-year projection for Medicaid expenditures <http://www.cbo.gov/budget/budproj.pdf> is $1.2 trillion. So this proposed cost reduction would represent 0.2% of total expenditures.]