[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Apr 18 12:59:28 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:51:08AM -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> Chris:
>
> > This does not work. The Pennsylvania Dutch are not
> > assimilated at all. They have their own language, their own
> > very distinct culture, their own religion and roughly their
> > own territory. They have practically as much right to be
> > considered an individual "nation"
> > as the Iroquois.
>

> Huh? My wife is pure-bred Pennsylvania Dutch very familiar with the region
> (Berks and Lancaster counties & environs)- and this is definitely not the
> story I hear from her or, for that matter, see myself. You must be thinking
> of the Amish - who are of German origin, but who maintain a separate society
> for religious reasons. But I do not think anyone would take them for
> Pennsylvania Dutch.

I feel icky saying I'm "pure-bred" PA Dutch but I suppose I am too, living here in Lancaster as well. You guys are using the terms differently - Wojtek like a local, Chris like the rest of the planet.

Locals - especially Western Lancastrians who do not see any tourists - say "PA Dutch" to mean the local food (bland, starchy, and fattening), the ethnicity (Germanic descent), and religion (current, former, and/or recovering Protestant Conservative, especially Mennonite).

The Amish are a specific sect of Mennonites.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Theoretically, people see money on the counter, and no one around, they think they're being watched.

-Dante Hicks Honesty through paranoia.

-Veronica