[lbo-talk] American Prospect Online - Dwight Macdonald

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 18 14:06:32 PDT 2006

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> I saw it at a college production. It modernizes the Macbeth and is
> just as cynical about King Kennedy (John Ken O'Dunc in the play) as it
> is about MacBird.
>
> If MacBird murdered O'Dunc then all I can say is that it was probably
> so he could pass the 1964 Civil Rights Bill, so all and all no great
> loss. This is a revisionist view no doubt.

I guess we're getting into trivia now, but I'm always delighted to find someone who shares my immense antipathy to John F. Kennedy and all his works. That is one of the reasons conspiracy theories on his assassination are so regressive: they obscure (even deny) his total commitment to whatever horrors were necessssary or useful for the prosecution of the Cold War. His inaugural address should be seen as a declaration of all-out war on the Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Johnson indeed was a war criminal and a shit in many ways, but if we were going to play around with lesser evils, LBJ was certainly the lesser evil of the two.

Carrol