[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 18 23:07:42 PDT 2006

On 4/18/06, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Americans are big on punishment as a solution to crime. Most support
the death
> penalty. Why not require all job seekers to have a U.S. Passport?
After all,
> the new ones are supposedly tamper proof--to keep the "terrs" out
(porous
> borders aside).

Essentially you would be eliminating the category of permanent residence (green cards). People would either be citizens or temporary workers. We have that system here in Ireland and, trust me, it SUCKS.

********

Sorry, I was thinking only of those who essentially claim not be be from other States and provide documents other than passports to employers on what is called an I9: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/eev.htm

Regards, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal